Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thing1-b

It is great to have the technology that we have, but there are a lot of draw backs. There are still a lot of students that do not have use of a computer at home, much less daily lessons on a computer in the lab. Sometimes (most of the time) we don't get computer lab time because of the day of the week that it follows on or they are having some special activity. This is not helping the children learn about the computer when they do not have access to one. With the money as tight as it is a lot of people will have less experience on the computer.
What do people do that when they have a paper due and everything is on the computer and the electricity goes out or the computer freezes?
I am for technology to a certain degree but we depend on it TOO MUCH!

1 comment:

  1. I have to respectfully disagree with the point that we depend on technology too much. I mean, we depend on electricity, too, and when the power goes out it causes lots of problems, but I don't think we should go back to using candlelight and doing laundry by hand, etc. We depend on our cars, and when they break down it's a huge inconvenience but I don't want to go back to horses and buggies ... And I think computer technology is headed that way. Those students without computers at home have access to them at the library. There are kids in my school who don't have books at home either - but I don't think the teachers should say "Well, not everyone has books in their home, so I don't want to emphasize reading books". I think we need to take steps to ensure that they DO have computer access - OLPC announced their OLPC America plans last year, and that's just one option. Schools as a whole have to value technology and realize that cutting computer lab time is just as harmful as cutting reading or math time for "special" activities ... I don't claim to have the solution lol - but somehow we need to ensure that the students DO have the opportunity becuase I truly believe that in the not-so-distant future, computer experience will not be optional - and NOT using a computer will be like NOT using electricity.

    ReplyDelete